Sunday, November 18, 2012

Something I’m Really Excited About


For those of you who follow me on Facebook you know that I am kind of freaking out about our upcoming trip to the States in December. One fried described me as ecstatic. :) Last year we spent Christmas in Bolivia and although we tried our best to make it “our own” it was still extremely difficult to be far away from our loved ones. We chopped down a tree, decorated it, and made delicious homemade Christmas cookies, but it just wasn't the same. Although there are some things I really dislike about Christmas (mostly the commercialization and extreme consumerism), excitement still wins over.

Last time we were in the US (this past June) we had a chance to speak at my in-laws’ church. We shared about what we’re doing here in Guatemala and how we see God working in and through our lives. After the service we stood in the lobby with a little table answering questions, handing out prayer cards, and receiving donations for ANADESA- the NGO I worked with here in Guatemala in 2008 and 2009. We brought some handmade beaded key chains and Christmas ornaments made by the women’s co-operative of ANADESA and we gave them to people who made a small donation. It was through this experience that my mother-in-law, Debbie, had the idea to do what we're going to do in December….

Debbie is going to host a small open-house party at the Katyl’s home in Northeast PA where Dan and I are going to sell handmade, fair-trade Guatemalan goods.   Most of the items we’ll be selling are from ANADESA’s co-operative of 20 women located in Santiago Atitlan just a short boat ride from where we now live. I just visited them yesterday to put in an order and the more I think about this the more excited I get! We will be selling mostly jewelry since that is what people were requesting last time. We’ll have tons of handmade beaded bracelets, some earrings, Christmas ornaments and key chains. I also plan to take some change purses and small bags made out of used Guatemalan textiles. We will have a presentation of sorts that explains more about ANADESA and Mayan Families (where we currently work) and we will be using the profits that we make to make a donation or to buy more goods to sell the next time we come home.

An example of the types of bracelets we'll be selling
Lots of people that come to Guatemala do exactly what we’re doing so I think it’s a good idea. Many people in the US have never seen the plethora of amazing artisan goods here in Guatemala. It’s truly amazing what the people (especially women) here create and how they have passed on these traditions generation after generation. Although it is a little scary since we are investing a few hundred dollars in this venture, I am hopeful that we will have a good turnout and that people will want to buy the products.

For those of you that live in Northeast PA please come out to our open house on Sunday, December 16th at the Katyls’ home and help us spread the word! (Dan and I plan to create an Evite soon to make inviting people even easier.) I realize that most of our blog readers live in other parts of the country or world so for all of you, please check out our good friends’ online store featuring hand-made, fair-trade Guatemalan artisan products- Las Casas: Make Life Fair. We met Jenny and David while they were working here in Guatemala with Mayan Families and they quickly became very good friends. They have since returned to the U.S. and launched their own business which is like a small scale Ten Thousand Villages. Please check it out and tell your friends! 

I think we can all agree that Christmas is a time of crazy consumerism. I know I have fallen prey to buying stuff I don’t need or even truly want. Why not use your dollars to support a worthy cause? With these products you receive a unique handmade product and you can also feel good knowing you are supporting indigenous Guatemalan women! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment