Saturday, November 24, 2012

Celebrating Thankfulness

Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. ~Philippians 4:4-7


This Thanksgiving marked my 4th Thanksgiving abroad. Even though I should be used to it by now I always get a little homesick. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday and I love it even more than Christmas even though Christmas is a whole season and Thanksgiving is just a day. My first Thanksgiving away from home was when I studied abroad in Costa Rica. I remember having a dinner with my LASP classmates. Nothing too fancy. The second was when I lived here in Guatemala in 2008. I was lucky enough to be invited to a "real" Thanksgiving dinner by my good friends, Traci and Jared. We had an awesome dinner with other local NGO workers and volunteers. That Thanksgiving marked the beginning of my tradition of making broccoli casserole no matter where I am. It's one of my favorite holiday dishes and something my aunt has always made for Thanksgiving dinner.

Last year, Dan and I celebrated our first Thanksgiving as a married couple in Bolivia. It was also his first Turkey Day (my family's nickname for Thanksgiving) outside the US. While I don't think anything can really compare to our very special Bolivian Thanksgiving last year, we of course wanted to celebrate in some way.

On Wednesday night my bosses (a married couple who are Australian and American) hosted a grand feast. They provided TWO turkeys, gravy, stuffing, and more. They also asked everyone to bring a dish. With over 40 attendees it was packed and there was a TON of food! We brought along a green bean dish that I found via Pinterest. It was a hit! I was dying for pumpkin pie and my prayers were answered! We forgot the camera so you will just have to take my word for it. It was delicious! We had a team here this week working with Mayan Families so they came, along with all of the foreign workers and some other local Americans and Canadians.

Dan and I decided to host our own little gathering on Thanksgiving Day since after all, our bosses gave us the day off. Also, Dan loves cooking so he wasn't going to pass up the chance to be in the kitchen all day. We invited some of our close friends here in Pana and had a delicious dinner including: homemade tofurky (tofu cooked like a turkey), mushroom stuffing with walnuts, homemade mashed potatoes, homemade gravy, broccoli casserole (my contribution), corn on the cob, and cranberry sauce (bought at a local gringo store. A bit of a splurge but I just had to have it.). Dan spent ALL day cooking and everything turned out delicious!

the feast!
For beverages, we had wine and beer. And for dessert, we had carrot cake, brownies, gluten-free carrot bread with homemade cream cheese icing, and a special Swiss treat that translates to "moist cookie" I think. It was similar to a brownie, but with banana in it. I made a new friend here who is from Sweden and it was her first ever Thanksgiving celebration. It was nice to keep the tradition going of sharing Thanksgiving with people from other countries even if it was just in a small way! :)

my plate full of Thanksgiving goodies

celebrating with friends! :)
Besides from eating until I nearly burst, I also got a chance to go for a quick swim and reflect on what I am thankful for. Even though we are far away from family I am grateful for each one of our family members and I cannot wait to see them all during Christmas! I am also thankful for:
~ my amazing husband
~his patience, encouragement, & constant love
~ his fantastic cooking skills
~ the chance to live and work in a beautiful place. Guatemala is abounding in beauty 
from the lake to the people to the textiles. It's bursting with it!
~ jobs where we learn and grow
~ good health
~ our beautiful little family including the pup!

hoto credit goes to:  http://www.naomifigueroaphotography.com/
Lucia lounging in the yard w/ her chewed up ball
Photo credit (for the Lucia pic) goes to Naomi Figueroa Photography.

I leave you with this- A psalm for giving thanks. 

Make a joyful noise to the Lord, all the earth!

Serve the Lord with gladness!
Come into his presence with singing!

Know that the Lord, he is God!
It is he who made us, and we are his; 
we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture. 

Enter his gates with thanksgiving,
and his courts with praise!
Give thanks to him; bless his name!

For the Lord is good;
his steadfast love endures forever,
and his faithfulness to all generations.

~Psalm 100 


May we all take a moment to spend time reflecting and giving thanks and praise for all the good things and people in our lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment