Saturday, May 5, 2012

Our Casa

I realized recently that I took photos of our home forever ago, but I never posted them! So without further delay, here they are. :)

Our little sitting area
Our bedroom. I love the huipile!
(Got it at a local used market)
Where Dan cooks us delicious meals
(This is pre-haircut. He looks a lot less shaggy now!)

We are very lucky to have an oven. A lot of people here (and I am talking about foreigners) do not have that luxury. I always joke with my co-workers that if they want to bake cookies they should come on over! 

Where we share our meals
& store our clothes- the wardrobe in the back.
Lucia's little sleeping area & a huipile from Santiago

I don't know if you can really tell in these photos, but our house is one main room- the sitting area, kitchen, dining area, and Lucia's sleeping spot are all connected. Our bedroom, spare bedroom, & bathroom connect to the main room. It's pretty small, but big enough for us. :) 

Our spare bedroom. Guests are welcome anytime!  ;)
Our lil' patio area
View from our patio- the stream & the river

While I am on the subject of HOME, Dan and I want to say a very belated thank you to our parents (both the Schmitzs & Katyls) for sending us AWESOME care packages back in March. Both huge boxes arrived on the same day and it was pretty much like Christmas. We were shrieking with joy as we pulled items out one at a time. Thank you SO MUCH for your thoughtfulness! :) And yes, I think we have eaten almost everything you sent. Is that sad? Haha.

With all of our A-mazing goodies!
Almonds AND pistachios!?!

Flowers here are available for a fraction of what they would cost in the US. I am loving these flowers I got last week for less than $2! And my new tablecloth- it's material worn traditionally as a skirt (corte). It's so vibrant & peppy. The textiles here are truly beautiful & most of them are handmade- everything from dying the threads to the weaving to embroidery often completed by hand.


Hope you enjoyed this lil' "tour" of sorts! Dan sends greetings to everyone. He has been super busy teaching, working at the restaurant, and learning Spanish. PLUS, he is leading a small group/Bible study that we formed a few weeks ago and filling in for our pastor while he is in the States. You can say a prayer for him- he starts preaching tomorrow! Also, the school where he teaches is performing "Much Ado About Nothing" this weekend and guess who is a main character? Yes, that's right. My husband :) Pictures to follow!

3 comments:

  1. Love the pictures and the opportunity to get a better glimpse into your life :) miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mannnnn, as if I didnt already want to come! THAT STREAM! Ahhhh....and nice purse hanging on the wall. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the house!!! it makes me happy to see you guys happy!

    ReplyDelete