Sunday, May 20, 2012

Don't Eat the Potato Salad & Photos

I learned a valuable lesson this week: don't eat the potato salad (in Guatemala). In fact, don't eat any type of salad made with mayonnaise. Why? you ask. It's simple. Refrigerators are not common here so oftentimes when food is made it sits for hours before being eaten. This is generally, not a huge problem, but does become problematic when things like mayo are involved.

This past week I was asked by my boss to go to a lunch at a local school. Even though I didn't really want to go I felt obligated. She couldn't go so she asked me to go in her place. I had the passing thought that maybe I should find a way out of it since my stomach is so dang sensitive, but I couldn't really think of a good reason (other than "hey, my stomach is really sensitive...") so I went. Oh how I wish she would've given me the above advice before I attended the lunch. Yes friends, I am sick once again. Did I mention that I just finished another round of Cipro (a very strong antibiotic) last weekend!?! To give you a little glimpse into my world I'd like to explain exactly what Dan and I do to stay healthy and avoid getting sick when it comes to food and beverages....

First off, we only drink filtered water. We have a water filter that we have to clean manually once a week. We received it from Mayan Families and it is awesome because it saves us a lot of money since the alternative is buying purified water. That can get very pricey. BUT when I am not at home I almost always drink purified water which luckily, we have at my office. There are times when I make an exception and drink filtered water, but only if I am at someone's home where I feel 100% confident that they clean their filter regularly and properly. There is a very specific way to clean it and just seeing that someone has a filter does not ensure that the water is safe to drink. At least not for me. 

Next, Dan and I sanitize all of our fruits, fresh herbs, and vegetables. What does this involve? It means that every time we go to the market we bring home everything and take turns putting it in a special sanitizing solution- filtered water plus disinfectant (a liquid solution we buy at the grocery store). It takes a while to clean every single thing we buy, but we do it. The only exceptions are things with peels like avocados and bananas. Even if we get something from the local grocery store that says it has been washed I sanitize it to be 100% sure.

On my 26th Bday w/ my FUNFETTI cake
{made by my wonderful husband}
Last, but not least, we are EXTREMELY careful about what and where we eat. This means absolutely NO eating on the street. There are tons of little food stands that sell tacos, french fries, ceviche, etc. Some people swear by them because they are so cheap, but honestly, most foreigners get sick anytime they eat from them. Even if the workers try to be clean there really is nowhere for them to wash their hands, dishes, or utensils so even if what you consume is delicious, it is almost certainly not sanitary.  

Each time I get sick I get more and more strict about what I will and will not eat. In the beginning I was a little more relaxed about it. I would buy snacks from the local woman who sells in front of our office. Oftentimes, people say "if it's cooked it's ok" with the idea that the germs/bacteria/etc. are cooked off. Well, I have news for you. That is not always true. I am at the point now where I really avoid eating things while I am out unless I am at one of the few restaurants where I am sure I will not get sick from their food. I don't buy homemade ice cream or chocofrut (fresh fruit covered in chocolate) for fear that the utensils used or the hands serving it are not clean. Even at bars I will not order a mixed drink like a mojito unless I am sure that they sanitize the mint that they use.

This all may sound a little extreme and maybe it is, but you have to understand that I have been extremely sick FOUR TIMES in less than 4 months! I have been to the doctor and taken extremely strong antibiotics four times. Sometimes when I tell people here (foreigners) that I don't want to eat something for fear of it making me sick I feel really judged. Whether they say it directly or indirectly it's something like "Oh come on. Lighten up!". I am at the point now where I figure everyone has their own prerogative. Everyone's body is different and some people are just fine drinking questionable water and food off the street. And if you want to do that it's fine with me. I am not going to criticize someone for their choices so I hope others will not criticize me. Trust me when I say I have a very sensitive stomach and that I have to be really, really careful about what I eat.

I didn't mean for this to be a venting session, but I guess that is what it became. I just wanted to explain why I am frustrated that I am sick yet again when I really try to take precautions against getting sick... I'd appreciate your prayers as we are traveling home 11 days from today and the last thing I want is to be ill while we are in the States. As my friend mentioned to me today it takes a while to get over these stomach issues- oftentimes a week or longer which is another reason why I am bummed out about being sick right now. Please keep me in your prayers and I will keep you posted!

On a happier note I was looking for a platform (other than Facebook) to share photos and I stumbled across Shutterfly's personal sites. I would like to start posting photos on there instead of Facebook because it is a bit more personalized and private. Please click this link if you want to check it out. You have to create a Shutterfly account (if you don't have one). Then, you have to send me a request to see the site. Once I approve you you'll be able to log in and see the photos. It all takes less than 5minutes so please check it out and let me know what you think! I have posted one album so far- my 26th Birthday.  :)

A sneak preview of photos from our new site!
Thanks for reading & have a great week! :) We look forward to seeing many of you so very soon!

1 comment:

  1. Awwww... being sick sucks! I think I've finally managed to get over being sick from street foods and whatnot but I definitely understand your frustration at getting sick yet AGAIN! I mean, come ON germs, cut a girl some slack right?

    I'm glad you can come back to the states and eat worry-free for a while!

    ReplyDelete